When using predictive models to aid farmers in making a nutrient application decision:
- confirm that predictive models have been tested with satisfactory results against field experiments.
- confirm that the models show detectable reductions of nutrient leaching, as a consequence of implemented remedies.
- provide results that consider the total environmental impact of a suggested measure, in order to show a more realistic evaluation of sources of nutrient load (e.g. provide results demonstrating the combined impact of all potential nutrients, rather than results predicting application impacts of one nutrient at a time).
- provide simulations that are based on a specific climatic variable, such as air temperature, rather than general seasonal timing (early fall).
- develop a system for presenting model uncertainties appropriate to use in stakeholder dialogues.